Friday, March 13, 2009

Not worth a 50% damage - Miyako Japanese Restaurant

I have a feeling that this blog will soon evolve into a food blog since most of my post is about food and outings. I’m not a very good photographer and don’t own those SLR gadgets like most food bloggers do, but I enjoy the part where you try to edit and modify the pictures so that it looks more crisp and shiny. I normally use my Nokia N73 to shoot because taking a snapshot is quick and convenient.

Me and my cousin went for the Miyako Japanese buffet in Sheraton Subang. The buffet dinner wasn’t as good as we expected. In comparison to Jogoya, Shogun and other KL Japanese buffet, the variety here is very much less for the same money you pay for. Worst still, the sashimi is not fresh and the hot dishes are nothing much to brag about, just plan normal Japanese food you can get from a low to medium class Japanese restaurant. Ok, so we vowed not to come again as it is not worth it. Then I discovered that the Starwood Privilege card that my mum gave me actually did 50% damage to the bill we suppose to pay for. In other words, buy one get one free!

We did complain to the manager about the food quality, but he soon convinced us to give them a 2nd chance to try their famous 10 course Kaizaki meal. I did remember that I tried the Kaizaki meal about 10 years ago when Subang was at it’s peak of development before the international airport being taken over by KLIA. Back then Miyako was one of the best Japanese restaurant around KL and Klang Valley. The Kaizaki is one of the finest Japanese set designed by a Japanese chef. We were eager to give it a try and since we have the 50% privilege, we pay them a visit someday after 3 weeks.

So we ordered the set with highly anticipation.


1st course – Octopus, squid and a slice of duck meat starters
Very nice presentation, good start good start… but taste mah mah lar…


2nd course – Sashimi salad
I’m very particular on the freshness. For such price to pay I expect better sliced raw sashimi, but this one tasted like what we had in the buffet, defrosted.

3rd course – Teppanyaki Lobster
Ok, at least we got lobster in the menu. This is the first time I tried teppanyaki lobster, and it was surprisingly good!


4th course – Sashimi
Similar to the 2nd course, not fresh and I’m starting to feel bored with sashimi… and wait, no salmon???


5th course – Mushroom broth
The broth is actually sweet. I actually like it.


6th course – Fried soft shell crab
It was cold… gosh…


7th course – Seafood soup
I remembered I had this 10 years ago because it is unique. The soup is inside the teapot and you pour it on a small saucepan and drink it from there.


8th course – Grilled Salmon
No wonder I can’t find salmon on the sashimi. It was cooked! With plum sauce! It was sweet, and bitter. Strange…


9th course – Soba
I’m not particularly full, but soba as a main course??? I expect something special…


10th course – Green Tea ice cream
I don’t feel like taking pictures anymore…

Conclusion:
Overall, I don’t think it is worth paying RM160++ for the Kaizaki meal. I am really disappointed because they can’t even do well in the most basic culinary practice – to serve it fresh, and to serve it hot.

Later we found out that the old Japanese chef has left Miyako and opened his own restaurant nearby. That was 8 years ago. The set course was passed on after wards and now taken over by a local chef.

So we have a clue here. We will pay a visit to the ‘nearby’ Japanese restaurant sometime.

Will I go back to Miyako?

No way! Even though I have the 50% discount…



Technorati Profile

1 comment: