Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Look Mum, No Controller!

3 years ago, Nintendo blew us away with it’s innovative Wii remote. It is selling like hot cakes because it redefines casual gaming to a whole new level.

This year, we have Sony who comes up with a ‘two stick’ controller, which I think it’s really out of date. Then we have Microsoft announcing its new interactive gadget, the Project Natal, which combines motion capture and voice recognition to the gaming world.

Motion capture is not something new, the Playstation Eyetoy already did that, but in mere 2D space. The painting and ricochet demo they’ve shown looks creative but nothing new to me. What impressed me is the ‘future demo’ where you get to interact with an AI kid and the environment in 3D. They also showed off some cool games like racing, fighting and skate boarding, without the use of controller. Able to select the on screen menu by flipping your hand looks futuristically cool, like in the Matrix or Minority Report.

However, I’m still optimistic on how they are going to pull it off perfectly, as we know that ‘Microsoft does not get things right until version 3’. Guess I still prefer sitting on my comfortable sofa with my controller rather then jumping here and there in front of the TV. Yes I’m a little too old for that…







Technorati Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment