Friday, July 11, 2008

GPS



I went to Pavilion KL to meet my mum and company for dinner after work. I brought my GPS with me so that I won’t get lost even though I’ve driven to KL for more then 20 times.


I was leaving from Taipan USJ and had my GPS system set to the shortest time. Halfway on the road I realized the program was guiding me towards Kesas Highway through the Summit traffic light. Alright, I knew there will be a huge traffic jam there, so I turned away and headed towards SS15 so that I could link directly to the NPE just after Sunway. I don’t mind paying for NPE toll if I could avoid the jam. After the NPE, I left my GPS to do the work as I am not familiar with the road after that.

I’m not sure whether something is wrong with the program or our government really screwed up the road. Along the highway there will always be splits with hundreds of road signs waiting for you to digest before you made a decision which way to go (a sign of ‘Malaysia Boleh’). Sometimes it’s just confusing to a point that the GPS system couldn’t pin point or explain the direction it wants you to go. The word keep right doesn’t mean going to the right side of the direction. Well, this is Malaysia highway la! You need some common sense and sense of direction instead of just following blindly to the signs or the GPS itself.


I followed blindly that day… and took 1 hour instead of 20minutes as calculated by my buddy GPS. It lead me through the wrong way several times and suggested the road which was congested…


That’s not all… After the dinner, I did some study on the route that my GPS suggested, glance through the map (I have no idea what route it’s bringing me to anyways), and started my engine. The system leads me to Smart Tunnel and the Kesas Highway, which I wasn’t happy paying it as I was thinking that there may be better routes instead. I thought I could finally reach to Puchong on my exit left out of the highway, there is a sudden split halfway to the exit and I couldn’t make a fast decision as to go left or right. Well, neither does my GPS, ‘it’ was silent… so it leads me to Cheras and thank God after 2km there was a U-turn… which finally lead me home.


So who’s fault was that? Could be just me and a machine not working together well enough… Anyway next time if I want to go KL I will prefer to go by LRT, with my GPS, hehe…

No comments:

Post a Comment